2023 Round 1 Pick #13:Lukas Van Ness Edge

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't really have much of an issue with the pick, but how many resources are going to continually be allocated to the defense? Especially with a clearance rack defensive coordinator.

I'm going to let it work itself work out, but we've spent year after year on this defense. Any other team would be skewered for what we've turned out in that timeframe. At this point it's talent or coaching, but something has to give.
Exactly this. If Barry couldn’t produce an elite defense with the talent at his disposal (and others before him, to be fair, though Barry might have the most egregious discrepancy between investment and product…), I don’t have a ton of confidence that LVN will be the difference-maker there. Feels a lot like a good example of throwing good money after bad to me.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the feeling they wanted an OT to drop and they didn't. So edge was the best value at the pick. Disappointed it wasn't JSN though, I'll be honest.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the pick, but wonder if Gute had the chance to trade down and still get him? Reminds me a bit of TJ Watt....hope he turns out as good.

Thought JSN was there and might have been the pick.

Can never have too many quality EDGE players.
New England was gonna take him if you noticed they traded back after that

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't really have much of an issue with the pick, but how many resources are going to continually be allocated to the defense? Especially with a clearance rack defensive coordinator.
That is true but we really could not stop the run when it counted last year. Definitely an upgrade on the line. Looks like he can play inside or out. A big, young guy. Not a secksy pick but looks like a solid pick.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is true but we really could not stop the run when it counted last year. Definitely an upgrade on the line. Looks like he can play inside or out. A big, young guy. Not a secksy pick but looks like a solid pick.
But Van Ness wasn't a run-stopper in college, he was known as a pass-rusher, mainly.

Reaction score
Watching and listening to former HC Chuck Paganos film study. Plus did some research and I had no idea of what we had until now. He’s perfect for a mini rebuild and had he been a 4 year starter he’d been gone with Tyree

We went for an extremely versatile DL. He’s very young and he’s got tons to learn and he’s not meant to be a year 1 starter, although they can ramp him because he’s so talented.

He can do it all. 3-4; 4-3 ; 2i ; 5T 1Gap ; 2Gap ; Bull rush; set up OL; set edge ; he’s got pop em’ back. He’s hit toss ‘em to the side. He can swim around ‘em He can backstroke into space and he can shoot a gap with the best of them.

This kid isn't a master of anything but he gets the “All Around” award. 2nd best Edge in this class and our D just got better. He’s a young lighter JJ Watt style DL with OLB speed and if he fills inti that 285-290 and continues to rise? He could be very reminiscent of that style player. He’s an old Hockey player and plays with his hair on fire.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching and listening to former HC Chuck Paganos film study.

We went for an extremely versatile DL. He’s very young and he’s got tons to learn and he’s not meant to be a year 1 starter, although they can ramp him because he’s so talented.

He can do it all. 3-4; 4-3 ; 2i ; 5T 1Gap ; 2Gap ; Bull rush; set up OL; set edge ; he’s got pop em’ back. He’s hit toss ‘em to the side. He can swim around ‘em He can backstroke into space and he can shoot a gap with the best of them.

This kid isn't a master of anything but he gets the “All Around” award. 2nd best Edge in this class and our D just got better. He’s a young JJ Watt and if he fills in and continues to rise? He could be very reminiscent of that style player.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
But #13 Overall? And he was never known as a run-stopper. Jack Campbell was known as the run-stopper

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll wait and see on this. If it turns out to be BJ Raji or Aaron Kampman I'm ok with it. If it turns out to be Justin Harell I'll never be on board.

Reaction score
But #13 Overall? And he was never known as a run-stopper. Jack Campbell was known as the run-stopper
This is the type you take a chance on. His potential is as high as any guy in this draft.

I think in 4 years? If we did a draft redo he’ll go top 5

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the type you take a chance on. His potential is as high as any guy in this draft.

I guess, we'll definitely have to wait and see. I'm wanting to team beat all expectations hope he honestly gives me a case of "foot-in-mouth, I hope this team surprises everyone.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess our philosophy is more or less that eventually there has to be a point where the investment of money and draft capital finally produces a decent defense.
At this point, I'll have to see it to believe it.

I'm going to let it work itself work out, but we've spent year after year on this defense. Any other team would be skewered for what we've turned out in that timeframe.
The good news is with Rodgers gone, we'll have more time to complain about the defense.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Naturally I hope you’re right but it feels like pretty much every year we’re hearing similar sentiments - “he won’t be an immediate impact but would go high in a re-draft a few years down the line.” That’s fine and all (and arguably makes more sense now than it has in the last few years) but it does feel at times like we’ve often skewed a bit too far towards “future” at the expense of “present”…

Reaction score
Naturally I hope you’re right but it feels like pretty much every year we’re hearing similar sentiments - “he won’t be an immediate impact but would go high in a re-draft a few years down the line.” That’s fine and all (and arguably makes more sense now than it has in the last few years) but it does feel at times like we’ve often skewed a bit too far towards “future” at the expense of “present”…
I get that. As human beings we are programmed for immediate results.

In 2019 fans were making comparisons to “Mr immediate results” Chase Winovich from Michigan when we drafted Rashan Gary.
How’s he doing there in New England?

Brian knows about 6,345% more than you or myself put together about player value. He would not pass on all these other players he loves unless this kid is special.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Seems we’re stuck in the same cycle now. Hope LVN is the pick that turns this defense around

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that. As human beings we are programmed for immediate results.

In 2019 fans were making comparisons to “Mr immediate results” Chase Winovich from Michigan when we drafted Rashan Gary.
How’s he doing there in New England?

Brian knows about 6,345% more than you or myself put together about player value. He would not pass on all these other players he loves unless this kid is special.
Whoa, let's not get carried away, Gute knows 6,345% more?! WOW! I honestly thought until he made the AR trade he was middle of the pack at best, but 6,345% would mean he's the greatest GM of all time!

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what we call “argument from authority” lol

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sounds like they plan to use Van Ness as a reduced interior rusher quite a bit. That really helped the defense back in 2019-20.

Athletes of his caliber virtually never bust. He will be billed a raw, risky player but don’t buy it. He is raw, but his profile is a very safe bet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts