2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on this year. I will not be one bit surprised to see Gute select 3 or maybe even as many as 4 OL candidates. 11 picks could easily turn into 12 on Thursday night. OL and RB are the only 2 positions I foresee Gute using picks. Potentially a WR or QB if they are a steal, otherwise, I'm expecting a draft that is skewed towards defensive picks.
I think I get the idea of what you're saying. I won't be surprised if he takes 4 OL, assuming he keeps all 11 picks. That might drop to 3 if he trade picks to move up in round 1 and get a CB. If he stays at #25, seems like OL will be the pick. Really, I'm just guessing......

I also agree the total draft will be skewed to the D. The O needs to plug gaps at OL and second RB, and he'll do that early. Then he'll focus on D needs at LB, Edge, CB, S - maybe DL. It's not a great draft at those positions, but Gluten is pretty good from rounds 4 through 7 where he's likely to find value. I'm thinking of Walker and Brooks from last year. Walker was a 7th rounder and Brooks was 6th, I think.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying there, and I usually hear you loud and clear. Did you leave a word out?
I started to do the same as you , but when he said skewed to defensive picks I realized he meant RB & OL were the only 2 offensive positions..................

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I started to do the same as you , but when he said skewed to defensive picks I realized he meant RB & OL were the only 2 offensive positions..................
Yeah I think that's correct. As far as the offense, OT, iOL, and RB are the only needs. The D certainly needs help.

I still won't be surprised if a WR is taken at some point. This draft is loaded with them. The Packers have a lot of WR talent - players on rookie deals entering their second or third years. They won't be able to keep all of them when contracts expire, so staggering picks is a good idea, especially with the wealth of picks Gluten has this year.

If he does pull the trigger on a WR, it will be due to value and BPA. It's still a long shot, given the current roster and the needs on D.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see someone that went undrafted in the post you quoted? Who are you speaking to?

McDuffie was a 6th rounder in 2021 and Walker 7th in 2022.
I guess underdrafted is a poor choice of wording. Sorry, I was referring to Walker. Was wondering why he dropped to 7th.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess underdrafted is a poor choice of wording. Sorry, I was referring to Walker. Was wondering why he dropped to 7th.
You’re good as I stated early I misread.

It was lower body injuries outlined before that likely caused him to fall some from mid rounder to later day 3

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying there, and I usually hear you loud and clear. Did you leave a word out?
I did, well actually more than one word. Thanks for spotting it.

I meant to say: "OL and RB are the only 2 positions on offense, that I foresee Gute using picks"

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I meant to say: "OL and RB are the only 2 positions on offense, that I foresee Gute using picks"
Hback TE I also see as a chance of being a targeted position.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think you're right, and it will make the draft more interesting to see if this happens.

Overall the O is in good shape. The D, umm, I'll say a work in progress. The DL is ok, so maybe he takes one guy for the DL. LB, Edge, CB, S - that's where he will make the largest % of picks. There are a few top shelf corners, very few solid LBs, Edge, CBs all falloff sharply after round 1. As for S, there isn't a round one guy I can see, unless DeJean is seen primarily as a S in the NFL. So it's a good year to have a lot of picks. Maybe there is a diamond or two in there......

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hback TE I also see as a chance of being a targeted position.
Kind of forgot about "that position". While I can see Gute possibly going after one, I hope it isn't with another 3rd round pick! With both Musgrave and Kraft on an upward trajectory, I want to see 1 or both of them on the field as much as possible. That said, if Gute and MLF decide that an Hback/TE is needed and not currently on the roster (Davis, Sims, Wilson), I see a late round pick or an UDFA signing used on one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still won't be surprised if a WR is taken at some point. This draft is loaded with them. The Packers have a lot of WR talent - players on rookie deals entering their second or third years. They won't be able to keep all of them when contracts expire, so staggering picks is a good idea, especially with the wealth of picks Gluten has this year.
I see that (drafting multiple WR's) as more of a 2025 or even 2026 draft move. This is the first year in a LONG time, when I honestly can say "We are pretty flush at WR and I wouldn't use a pick on one." That said, if by some miracle MHJ drops out of the top 5 pick and drops to 25....go get him Gute! Otherwise, way too many other needs and maybe more importantly, limited roster spots on the final 53, to use on the 9 current WR's on the roster. Why spend a day 3 pick on a guy that probably doesn't crack the roster and needs to be put on the PS? Besides Pitts and Toure, it is hard to find any of the other 7 that I don't want on the roster. I have seen articles on "Will the Packers trade Watson during the draft?" Are you F'ing kidding me? For what? A 6th or 5th round pick? Why would they bail on a guy that they invested two 2nd round picks in, while his value is at its lowest?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Romeo Doubs
87WR6-2204243Nevada
Grant DuBose
86WR6-2201221Charlotte
Malik Heath
18WR6-2213242Mississippi
Bo Melton
80WR5-11189241Rutgers
Thyrick Pitts
16WR6-2201231Delaware
Jayden Reed
11WR5-11187232Michigan State
Samori Toure
83WR6-1191263Nebraska
Christian Watson
9WR6-4208243North Dakota State
Dontayvion Wicks
13WR6-1206222Virginia

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of forgot about "that position". While I can see Gute possibly going after one, I hope it isn't with another 3rd round pick! With both Musgrave and Kraft on an upward trajectory, I want to see 1 or both of them on the field as much as possible. That said, if Gute and MLF decide that an Hback/TE is needed and not currently on the roster (Davis, Sims, Wilson), I see a late round pick or an UDFA signing used on one.
Sinnott is only guy worth a Day2 late.

Otherwise think Bell on early ish Day3 with Westover late Day3 type

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sinnott is only guy worth a Day2 late.
My issue with Sinnott is his blocking. While I think he would be of value as a receiver, unless he improves on his blocking, he just becomes another Sternberger/Deguara for the Packers.

Current Packer FB Henry Pearson is a guy we might see a lot of in the Preseason, he showed a bit of promise as a blocker against the Lions and the Chiefs, as well as his ability to play special teams.

A TE I really like, but due to being undersized he doesn't fit the mold of a H-B, is Ja'Tavion Sanders. I think he was underutilized at Texas and the guy is going to be a star in the right offense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see that (drafting multiple WR's) as more of a 2025 or even 2026 draft move. This is the first year in a LONG time, when I honestly can say "We are pretty flush at WR and I wouldn't use a pick on one." That said, if by some miracle MHJ drops out of the top 5 pick and drops to 25....go get him Gute! Otherwise, way too many other needs and maybe more importantly, limited roster spots on the final 53, to use on the 9 current WR's on the roster. Why spend a day 3 pick on a guy that probably doesn't crack the roster and needs to be put on the PS? Besides Pitts and Toure, it is hard to find any of the other 7 that I don't want on the roster. I have seen articles on "Will the Packers trade Watson during the draft?" Are you F'ing kidding me? For what? A 6th or 5th round pick? Why would they bail on a guy that they invested two 2nd round picks in, while his value is at its lowest?

Romeo Doubs
87WR6-2204243Nevada
Grant DuBose
86WR6-2201221Charlotte
Malik Heath
18WR6-2213242Mississippi
Bo Melton
80WR5-11189241Rutgers
Thyrick Pitts
16WR6-2201231Delaware
Jayden Reed
11WR5-11187232Michigan State
Samori Toure
83WR6-1191263Nebraska
Christian Watson
9WR6-4208243North Dakota State
Dontayvion Wicks
13WR6-1206222Virginia
There's no need to take a WR. I think Toure has shown all he has, and that's not much. I don't know Pitts. Other than Watson, there aren't many tall receivers on the roster, so maybe he takes a guy with some height. The risk is that Watson washes out due to chronic injury. I think you pointed out he's missed time to hamstring problems in 21, 22, and 23. That's a nasty injury, especially when a guy relies on speed like Watson.

Just ironic - all those years they needed WRs and none were taken. Now that position is well stocked.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the thoughts about an "H" back. But, I do think that we'll be seeing Kraft being asked to fill that role, and in some cases, even Dillon. I think they have two guys there that save them the need to bring in a guy specifically for that purpose.

I think getting Dillard in the fold means they are satisfied that LT is going to be okay at this point. But, I do believe they are looking to find someone who can be slotted into essentially every other spot on the offensive line. That's why I see them looking for a way to get someone like Barton. Although he's really going to end up as a center down the road, he could actually be a good safety measure at every other spot, especially both guard positions and center. That's why I believe, if he's available at our #1 pick in the 2nd round, they snatch him in a heartbeat. He could more than likely step in, and play, with a decent preseason under his belt.

Myers is not someone I want to see at center any longer than possible. He's actually fallen back further in his grading every year he's been in the league. If they got Barton, and found a center late in the draft, that would be perfect. Dumping Myers might even be possible before the season starts.

On defense, I still see us needing a safety, at least one inside linebacker who can cover receivers, and an interior defensive lineman who can push the pocket back.

I think they've got a pretty good idea where this is going to go already.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR Dillon will get a chance at H Back but Kraft is not an H Back.

I also disagree on Sinnott, he can block better than some have gave the impression of.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR Dillon will get a chance at H Back but Kraft is not an H Back.

I also disagree on Sinnott, he can block better than some have gave the impression of.
Agree with you on Dillon and Kraft. He'll have to prove in camp he can improve upon last season. MLF has talked of using him in different ways so I suppose that could include FB. They'll take a RB, probably early and later in the draft, to compete with Dillon.

Jacobs will be able to handle a lot more snaps than Jones did. Even so, Jacobs has some miles and the sooner they find another capable RB, the better. It's just not a great year for RBs, but that hasn't been an issue in the recent past. I think Jones was taken in the 4th or 5th round.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with you on Dillon and Kraft. He'll have to prove in camp he can improve upon last season. MLF has talked of using him in different ways so I suppose that could include FB. They'll take a RB, probably early and later in the draft, to compete with Dillon.

Jacobs will be able to handle a lot more snaps than Jones did. Even so, Jacobs has some miles and the sooner they find another capable RB, the better. It's just not a great year for RBs, but that hasn't been an issue in the recent past. I think Jones was taken in the 4th or 5th round.

I personally bet there is more likelihood we don't draft a RB at all than draft multiple early. If we do a multiple they're going to be Day3.

Gute understands the RB positional value and I don't think unless he has someone pegged as a special type or need won't do a Dillon type pick again. Also Emanuel Wilson is going to have a LOT to say about that room this next year. My contacts say the team is incredibly high on him and Wilson has been getting even quicker this off season - something which everyone already knew he was special in that burst/explosion. I could see a real chance Wilson is our second in rushing attempts but is behind Dillon on total snaps.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Musgrave, Sims and Kraft need to become much better blockers imo. Until that happens our running game won't hit peak efficiency. Also need better blocking out of the WR's.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Early on in September I expect to see Dillon and Wilson getting significant playing time until Jacobs gets a really good handle on the playbook.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Musgrave, Sims and Kraft need to become much better blockers imo. Until that happens our running game won't hit peak efficiency. Also need better blocking out of the WR's.

That very reason is why I truly think Wicks is going to be special....yes his footwork and his separation abilities are insane, but I believe he is our best blocking WR on the team.

Heath may be our second best.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Early on in September I expect to see Dillon and Wilson getting significant playing time until Jacobs gets a really good handle on the playbook.
I guess I don't see that. Jacobs is a 5 year veteran of the NFL. His rookie season for the Raiders he carried the ball 242 times and was their primary RB. As long as he stays healthy, he should be ready to go for that first game in Brazil, as the feature back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally bet there is more likelihood we don't draft a RB at all than draft multiple early. If we do a multiple they're going to be Day3.

Gute understands the RB positional value and I don't think unless he has someone pegged as a special type or need won't do a Dillon type pick again. Also Emanuel Wilson is going to have a LOT to say about that room this next year. My contacts say the team is incredibly high on him and Wilson has been getting even quicker this off season - something which everyone already knew he was special in that burst/explosion. I could see a real chance Wilson is our second in rushing attempts but is behind Dillon on total snaps.
I hope you're right because 1) the RB class is weak - so multiple picks on day 3 makes some sense, and 2) I didn't see anything special about Wilson last season. I'd be very happy if he can step up and be a true #2 back, or at least fill in to rest Jacobs from time to time. He doesn't seem to have the lateral vision required to be more than JAG. As for his quickness, I guess I missed that. It would be nice if a solid #2 HB was already on the team.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I don't see that. Jacobs is a 5 year veteran of the NFL. His rookie season for the Raiders he carried the ball 242 times and was their primary RB. As long as he stays healthy, he should be ready to go for that first game in Brazil, as the feature back.
Agreed. I don't think a guy gets paid $12 mil/game and then needs that much time to learn the playbook. If the Packers are relying on Wilson and Dillon to carry the day at RB - well that's a problem. I didn't see anything from Wilson last year. Maybe I missed it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be a problem. Jacobs should be expected to start the season as the feature back. I think that's one reason they're paying him $12 mil/year. Finally, I'm gonna guess he's got the playbook and will be just fine day 1.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right because 1) the RB class is weak - so multiple picks on day 3 makes some sense, and 2) I didn't see anything special about Wilson last season. I'd be very happy if he can step up and be a true #2 back, or at least fill in to rest Jacobs from time to time. He doesn't seem to have the lateral vision required to be more than JAG. As for his quickness, I guess I missed that. It would be nice if a solid #2 HB was already on the team.

I don't think folks realize how special Emanuel Wilson's physical profile and what his measurables show and how well he did in limited snaps and illustrated excellent vision.

His BMI was reported to be around 32...making him one of the thickest backs in the rookie class this past year.
He ran a 4.55 forty at his weight...which for the record is better than Tank Bigsby's 4.56 who weighed thirteen pounds less.
His vertical and broad jumps were better than Achane's...and for his weight and build I'd argue was insanely better than some that may have beat his numbers.
His lateral quickness 3 cone was 4.39 which was about average in the class...astonishing if you looked at his build.

Everyone remembers how special Eddie Lacy was which was large part due to his size being able to move and do what he did....he is literally the more athletic version of Eddie....and in this off season changed some fat for muscle.

Now I think there is as much of a chance Wilson never fulfills his athletic potential and is off the team in a couple years as it is he is our second leading rusher this year....but there is no denying the man can flat run the ball in a way a guy his size shouldn't be able to and a large part is he has a short range burst/acellaration for sure. Matter of fact his ten yard split is faster than Josh Jacobs (whose forty is much worse at 4.64), Jamaal Williams, AJ Dillon....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts