best dudes to ever wear the G

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Spun this out of a different thread. Not the player but the man. I don't expect a Mossy Cade, James Lofton, Paul Hornung to show up here. I'm looking more towards the Starr15, Reggie92, Driver80, and yes AJ Dillon 28 type of someone you'd want your sons to emulate and daughters to admire.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The four that jumped to my mind the fastest were

- Aaron Jones
- Donald Driver
- Jordy Nelson
- Ahman Green...many don't even realize this man still lives and does a LOT in the Green Bay community.

Honorable mentions still with stories happening:

- Malik Willis (research this young man)
- Jordan Love (his story and life is a story itself)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to have to pick Bart Starr, hands down. Best dude doesn't say football. It says football, character, dedication to the team, personal lifestyle, and community activity. Nobody did it better than Bart. He did it constantly, and never once sought out a headline for doing it.

That's not a rap against all the work so many have done, and will do, but one that speaks to the nature of everything he was. It will be very difficult for any player to ever duplicate his track record, because the players have had to distance themselves from the public so much in this day because of the changes in how they are viewed in public.

Anyhow, that's my choice.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to have to pick Bart Starr, hands down. Best dude doesn't say football. It says football, character, dedication to the team, personal lifestyle, and community activity. Nobody did it better than Bart. He did it constantly, and never once sought out a headline for doing it.

That's not a rap against all the work so many have done, and will do, but one that speaks to the nature of everything he was. It will be very difficult for any player to ever duplicate his track record, because the players have had to distance themselves from the public so much in this day because of the changes in how they are viewed in public.

Anyhow, that's my choice.

For sure a standout historically in the sense of this question. 1000%

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
- Ahman Green...many don't even realize this man still lives and does a LOT in the Green Bay community.
If I recall he was a student math teacher in DePere. I think one of my kids had him for a few months.
I'm going to have to pick Bart Starr, hands down.
:rolleyes: Of course you would. You were old when God was a baby. :p

But really he'd be #1 on my list of top 5.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I recall he was a student math teacher in DePere. I think one of my kids had him for a few months.

:rolleyes: Of course you would. You were old when God was a baby. :p

But really he'd be #1 on my list of top 5.
I did help Moses carry those two heavy stone tablets down the hill. I had to make two trips, while he sat up there waiting for me to get back for the second one.

I was panting after the steep climb, and he looked at his Rolex and said; "What took you so long? I have a date to put on a show in two hours. Can't do it without the tablet prompters you know."

He didn't even give me a tip!

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the first that came to mind for me would have to be Donald Driver!

Beyond that, a small personal connection for me. Maybe not a name many would be expecting.

Bryan Bulaga married a girl from my hometown, and her parents go to the same church as my family. His in-laws are good family friends of ours. Bryan and I have never actually met, but he would always send some cool swag or signed stuff or whatnot around Christmas because he knew I was a fan.

But beyond that, his father-in-law was diagnosed with ALS back in 2019, and Bryan really made it a big personal mission to use his platform to help raise money and awareness for ALS research, treatment, etc. Of course everyone is going to try and take care of their own family, I get that, but I just really respected the way he went about it. Just a really genuine guy overall.

And I'm sure it's the case for many players/families that we don't see, but being somewhat connected to the family it was cool to get to see all these little opportunities where him and his family would be out serving in the community in Green Bay, like serving lunch at the soup kitchen or collecting coats and just little stuff that never gets any publicity/press about it.

Reaction score
I did help Moses carry those two heavy stone tablets down the hill. I had to make two trips, while he sat up there waiting for me to get back for the second one.

I was panting after the steep climb, and he looked at his Rolex and said; "What took you so long? I have a date to put on a show in two hours. Can't do it without the tablet prompters you know."

He didn't even give me a tip!
Aaron? Is it you?

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great question, and a tough one because of how carefully controlled image and personal presentation are in the NFL. That said, I have found myself surprisingly sad about Aaron Jones moving on -- just one of the great, underrated Packer performers who really projected an admirable version of himself consistently. I loved the piece of writing, addressed to Green Bay and Packers hfans, that he offered up recently in the Players' Tribune.

On the flip side, I'm surprised at people holding up Reggie White in this light -- a beast, one of my favorite Packers to watch, but his appalling remarks on racial stereotypes and his efforts to repeal laws protecting gay Americans from eviction and housing discrimination -- even appearing in anti-gay ads in a Packer uniform! -- are horrifying to me. And as the sone of a minister myself, I can't accept the "man of faith" excuse for targeting fellow humans in such bigoted, awful ways.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take issue with Sterling as a "Best Dude To Ever Wear The Green" candidate. While I loved to watch him play, he refused to talk with the media and I can never forget his holdout in 1994. The day before the season-opener against the Vikings, he said he would play the season because he was unhappy with the 10yr contract that he signed in 1991. It lacked class.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of good choices but Bart Starr wins by a landslide. Not only was he a great player and an even greater person, he did something that no other player has done. When the team was in the dumps in the 1970s, he came back and coached the team when the Packers begged him to do it. That's commitment.

Speaking of commitment, I'll throw out Charles "Buckets" Goldenberg. He played in the 30s and 40s and eventually joined the Board of Directors from something like the 1950s to 1980s. He had Packers blood circulating throughout his body.