2016 Preseason Game #2 vs da Raiders

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The following was swiped from : http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...6-game-time-tv-channels-online-streaming-more
WHO?

Green Bay Packers and Oakland Raiders
WHEN?
Thursday, August 18, 2016
7:00 PM Central
WHERE?
Lambeau Field
Green Bay, Wisconsin
HOW?
TV Broadcast
Regional broadcast on Packers TV Network

Notable stations:
WMLW 48/49 (Milwaukee)
WACY 32 (Green Bay)
ABC 27 (Madison)
ABC 19 (La Crosse)
ABC 18 (Eau Claire)
ABC 9 (Wausau/Rhinelander)
Replay broadcast on NFL Network
Friday, August 19th, 1:00 AM ET/12:00 AM CT
Radio Broadcast
Packers Radio Network
Online Streaming <no this does not mean anyone can post any other streaming site .. Poppa>
Video: [URL='https://www.nfl.com/gamepass']NFL Game Pass
(free 7-day trial available)
[/URL]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to see if Callahan is still worthy of the #3 designation or if Williams caught him.
Is Hundley ready to be Mr August, a heartbeat - or pulled hammy - away from being the man?
Has Martinez learned to tackle after filling the hole?
The rest of the young, low on the depth chart players that stood out ready to repeat? Or do they get swatted back, replaced by another?
Is there continuing progress from the players being asked to step up this season?
But most importantly:
Can the team again avoid injury to the "must have available during the season" players?

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see if Callahan is still worthy of the #3 designation or if Williams caught him.
Is Hundley ready to be Mr August, a heartbeat - or pulled hammy - away from being the man?
Has Martinez learned to tackle after filling the hole?
The rest of the young, low on the depth chart players that stood out ready to repeat? Or do they get swatted back, replaced by another?
Is there continuing progress from the players being asked to step up this season?
But most importantly:
Can the team again avoid injury to the "must have available during the season" players?

Pretty good sum up. All things on the list are doable; let's hope for the best.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a studs vs duds thread so right here works.

Studs:
Gunter playing corner. He was 1 on 1 with Cooper for a lot of the first half and didn't allow a reception.
Lacy and the starting 0 line run blocking. That first drive was excellent.

Dud
I don't want to necessarily call Spriggs a dud since I wound't expect any rookie tackle to do well against Mack, but Spriggs struggled. It was like one of those "welcome to the NFL moments" for Spriggs. Mack beat Spriggs pretty good.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mack beats a lot of people pretty good especially in one on one.

Bakhtiari did a pretty good job blocking Mack during the teams regular season game in 2015. While there's no doubt it's a tough assignment for a rookie Spriggs has to improve his performance for the Packers to think about appointing him as the starting left tackle next offseason.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a studs vs duds thread so right here works.

Studs:
Gunter playing corner. He was 1 on 1 with Cooper for a lot of the first half and didn't allow a reception.
Lacy and the starting 0 line run blocking. That first drive was excellent.

Dud
I don't want to necessarily call Spriggs a dud since I wound't expect any rookie tackle to do well against Mack, but Spriggs struggled. It was like one of those "welcome to the NFL moments" for Spriggs. Mack beat Spriggs pretty good.

Yes, Spriggs essentially became Khalil Mack's turnstyle. He's not the first, nor will he be the last, and let's hope he learns from and gets better. I'm guessing he will.

Gunter did make a bonehead special teams play that allowed the blocked punt, but as you noted he's been pretty solid on defense.

I'm starting to like Kentrell Brice.

The best punter on the field last night was Oakland's. I'm not sure McCarthy and Zook are ready to hand the job over to the rookie Mortell, but Masthay's good punts are only so-so, and his bad ones are too frequent. Ted might be watching the waiver wire for a better option.

Callahan did some good things, and some bad things. Looks like a PS project.

Nice touchdown run by John Crockett. Burks is pushing him, but I think Crockett is going to be the third back.

Mason Crosby continues to look like a Pro Bowl candidate kicker.

Would have liked to have seen more of Hundley, but from what I saw he looked okay. Nice pass to Adams.

Lacy looks ready. Ditto the starting offensive line.

Geronimo Allison is worth keeping an eye on. Unfortunately, barring injuries to our receiving corps, I think he's a likely a PS candidate, and could well end up on someone else's 53.

Green Bay looks deep almost everywhere. Just need a reliable punter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The best punter on the field last night was Oakland's. I'm not sure McCarthy and Zook are ready to hand the job over to the rookie Mortell, but Masthay's good punts are only so-so, and his bad ones are too frequent. Ted might be watching the waiver wire for a better option.

The opponent's punter has been the superior compared to Masthay for most games over the last few years. Unfortunately that hasn't made Thompson to look somewhere else for a replacement.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Masthay's good punts are only so-so, and his bad ones are too frequent. Ted might be watching the waiver wire for a better option.

Very good statement and spot on about Masthay. I don't see what goes on in practice, but Mortell seems to have a leg up for the job, pun intended. Also, given that Mortell is known to be an excellent holder, which seemed to be the only reason the Packers kept Masthay last year, I am ready to see #1 take over the punting duties.

If Mortell somehow fails, guessing Masthay will be found working at a local car wash to rehire. But this won't be a cut until after the final preseason game.

Crosby continues to look like a kicker that dispels the theory some thought we paid too much for. Where did I read that he is a liability on kickoffs? He was even booming those last night!

What impressed me most last night was the Packers D. Even without some key starters, they played very well against Oaklands #1's during the first half.

D

Deleted member 6794

Very good statement and spot on about Masthay. I don't see what goes on in practice, but Mortell seems to have a leg up for the job, pun intended. Also, given that Mortell is known to be an excellent holder, which seemed to be the only reason the Packers kept Masthay last year, I am ready to see #1 take over the punting duties.

If Mortell somehow fails, guessing Masthay will be found working at a local car wash to rehire. But this won't be a cut until after the final preseason game.

According to several reports Masthay has been more consistent with better hang time than Mortell during training camp practices.

It will be an interesting competition to follow if the rookie continues to punt that way in preseason games though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's only a bad thing if Spriggs doesn't learn from it. I think it was probably good for him in the long run.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Crosby continues to look like a kicker that dispels the theory some thought we paid too much for. Where did I read that he is a liability on kickoffs? He was even booming those last night!

What impressed me most last night was the Packers D. Even without some key starters, they played very well against Oaklands #1's during the first half.

Completely agree on the defense. Randall gave up a catch to Cooper early on, but made a nice interception when Carr went after him later on. He more than held his own. The front seven had Oakland's running game shut down pretty effectively. Even as more and more Green Bay starters were replaced by back-ups, the Raiders starting offense was was still limited to one field goal. Not bad.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very impressed with the defense and oline. Adams also had a nice game. Hundley looks better than other young qbs who are starting for teams. Lacy Looks to be running much better. Love what Cook brings to the te position.

I love that this team looks ready to play. The starting units have looked good while back ups have received snaps against other team's best due to guys sitting out. After two games I think this team is trending in the right direction. Get Jordy and Rodgers out there together for a little bit next week. Get Ryan on the field to keep the ilb completion rolling. A find a punter

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rip was much better finding his blocks this game. He is a bowlingball to bring down! The other FB we have is just insane huge. Crockett pulled ahead of the competition with a solid showing last night. No receivers jumped off the screen but Kyle Murphy looked good in his first game. Both in the pass and run game he made some key blocks. Spriggs had trouble with probably the best pass rusher in the league which is expected of a rookie. Any idea who MM was cussing out about halfway through the 2nd Q?It was right before a 50yd punt. Martinez looked alot better. He is a natural leader. Barrington looked chiseled and quick! Pennel also looked smaller. He doesn't look 330lbs, closer to 315 now i bet. And wow did our secondary impress. Beautiful INT by Randall and also UDFA Hawkins. I've said it before, if these young defensive backs keep improving and making plays Goodson is going to find himself out of a job.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it was the handful of snaps I decided to watch, but Clark looked gassed, slow and rather ineffective when I watched him. Not at all what I was expecting.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it was the handful of snaps I decided to watch, but Clark looked gassed, slow and rather ineffective when I watched him. Not at all what I was expecting.
That was my impression. He was getting manhandled by the backup guards, and showed nothing in the way of counter moves or lateral agility. He even got completely turned around at one point. So much for the wrestling background.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The other FB we have is just insane huge.

Come on man, with your name you should know this guy, he may even be related to you! :coffee:

Alstevis Squirewell.....Listed at 6' 265 lbs. He was a defensive end all four years at Newberry College, a Division II school.

I wish we had a roster spot just to run him on 3rd/4th down and one yard or less, he looks like a load to bring down. I can almost hear the fans chanting now "Squirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Last edited:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Hundley go down yesterday reiterated my reason for saying Rodgers should sit all preseason. It would be a damn shame to lose our franchise QB in a meaningless game. I just hope Hundley will be healthy in a few weeks. Let the UDFA QBs duke it out these last 2 preseason games for PS slot. That's just me talking!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark and Lowry look about evenly effective this far. Which isn't good for our 1st Round pick. I expected Lowry to need a redshirt type year anyway. But with Clark it's urgent for him to step up right away.

D

Deleted member 6794

Watching Hundley go down yesterday reiterated my reason for saying Rodgers should sit all preseason. It would be a damn shame to lose our franchise QB in a meaningless game.

Rodgers should only receive playing time in the preseason with the starters on the offensive line blocking for him and preferably throwing quick passes to give the pass rush no chance to get to him.

Clark and Lowry look about evenly effective this far.

Unfortunately both have looked evenly ineffective so far.