Missing Measurables....RAS

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I've always known, but learned recently many have no clue of is that missing measurables CAN and DO impact the formulas used in any athletic testing measurement - RAS being arguably the most refined one IMO.

In case that didn't make sense to anyone let me share what I mean with one of my personal favorite Day 2 off ball linebackers Cedric Gray.

If you look up the most current RAS Card for Cedric Gray you're going to get:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Now here's what I mean. Say Gray's camp chose to not do any bench testing at all....

Now what if they chose to not do shuttle:

The more variables you enter into a formula the more refined it becomes. Numerous folks cross off or add on guys to a list strictly because of RAS....however base nothing on how much confidence to lay in it? Are there variables missing.....are there variables which a certain position seems to be preferred for a certain position (example GB really prefers the shuttle it seems for their OL as an indicator).

Just wanted to throw this out there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yes. There's no information quite like incomplete public information. Me thinks the scouts know better.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah yes. There's no information quite like incomplete public information. Me thinks the scouts know better.

Yes and no. Testing numbers are a way they gauge what the physical traits of a player are....but that is just part of it.

I remember a scout sharing a story one time that he went to a pro day once for a school/region he had not been assigned to...a prospect there JUMPED out at him as one of the most complete athletic profiled prospects at the event.

He got back to the hotel and called the scout that had reviewed him and simply heard a different picture; gets his feet washed out too much in coverage, hesitation in reading the ball in the air and seems lost at times unless in press man.

This young man physically was an athletic freak, his traits in testing pointed towards a TON of potential IF a team could teach him technique, footwork and the head game part of things.

That second scout look caused him to be on a radar of a team that had an initial report of don't draft....