I know it is a dead topic but neverless - John Jones

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A different take on it... don't know much about this site, but another rumor.

http://www.mytvisonfire.com/packersnation/?m=200707

First some new information has leaked about John Jones. This is a rumor and probably isn’t true. Supposedly one of the reasons James Jones was fired was because of how he handled the Randy Moss situation. Supposedly he really turned Randy Moss off from coming to Green Bay. He supposedly also has had other troubles with player meetings. I have no idea how true this is.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
so now the blame is being pushed on Jones about Moss instead of Thompson? lol

Responsibility is on Thompson for landing, or not landing players. Not the CEO or chairmen or anyone like that.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zero come on dude.

while the gm is responsible for whos on the field.... If Jones pissed him off, then its jones fault.

when you have an finicky attitude like Moss does... little things like the president of the organization dissing you can sway a decision. if Jones mishandled it then there is really no blame for TT at all on that.

however im not that disappointed that Moss isnt here anymore. I personally believe it was neither TT, Favre, Cook, or Jones that screwed the deal up... i think Randy just wanted to play for the best team in football, and thats what he did.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so now the blame is being pushed on Jones about Moss instead of Thompson? lol

Responsibility is on Thompson for landing, or not landing players. Not the CEO or chairmen or anyone like that.

Not necessarily. Everyone has a boss. That's like saying George Steinbrenner or Mark Cuban don't have a say and don't alter acqusitions in any way. lol

Regardless, I'm satisfied with how it worked out. Growing o-line, some hidden gems at WR(jennings and now maybe jones\clowney, probably jones from the sounds of it), someone WILL emerge as a solid RB. The defense should be better(if only by experience, oh, and no Manuel!).

But yeah...don't dismiss the Jones thing so quick. But that's over, and we should move on. No blame game!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just glad that Harlan addressed it and di what was right. He COULD have just walked away and let it all go. But he didn't, and thats what matters.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ted Thompson makes the final decision. Good, bad and otherwise. It's his call to make.

True, Jones could have pissed off Moss.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well looks like the right day to have started a John Jones thread... his tenure with the Packers is offically over.

From KFFL.com

Packers | Team reaches tentative financial agreement with Jones
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:53:02 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers have reach a tentative agreement on a financial settlement with former president and chief executive officer John Jones, according to sources familiar with the situation. Jones took a leave of absence shortly after taking the job and has not returned to the position. The search for a new president and CEO is expected to begin immediately.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Well looks like the right day to have started a John Jones thread... his tenure with the Packers is offically over.

From KFFL.com

Packers | Team reaches tentative financial agreement with Jones
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:53:02 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers have reach a tentative agreement on a financial settlement with former president and chief executive officer John Jones, according to sources familiar with the situation. Jones took a leave of absence shortly after taking the job and has not returned to the position. The search for a new president and CEO is expected to begin immediately.

Yeppers!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sources: Packers close to settlement with Jones

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

The Green Bay Packers have reached a tentative financial settlement with former team president John Jones and could announce the agreement as early as this afternoon, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Acting president and CEO Bob Harlan and the team’s executive committee told the club’s 45-person board of directors in a 2½-hour meeting Wednesday afternoon that the Packers were about to settle with Jones, who was placed on administrative leave on May 26, only four days before he was to succeed Harlan as the team’s chairman.

Jones had a three-year contract, and it’s believed the Packers will pay him in full. A source has said his salary was in the range of $900,000 a year.

The Packers are expected to issue a statement later today. In that statement, Jones is expected to cite health reasons for his departure.

The team will immediately begin its search for a new chairman. It has set up a search committee made up of the seven members of the executive committee plus a handful of members of the board of directors.

It also has hired an executive search firm to help identify and screen candidates from around the NFL.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My blog says Brett Favre is an alien.

It came to me in a dream. All my dreams come from God.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not the reason Jones was fired. I cannot imagine a scenario in which the real reason will ever be told.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly one of the reasons James Jones was fired was because of how he handled the Randy Moss situation.

I believe this part is right, but I'm guessing the main reason it cost him his job was not because of how he handled Randy Moss, but with how he handled Ted Thompson.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly one of the reasons James Jones was fired was because of how he handled the Randy Moss situation.

I believe this part is right, but I'm guessing the main reason it cost him his job was not because of how he handled Randy Moss, but with how he handled Ted Thompson.
LOL! This reminds me of the "Kevin Bacon" thing i heard from years ago. Every movie made can some how be linked with Kevin Bacon.
Looks like EVERYTHING that happens in the Packer organization (according to some) can de directly linked to "Ted Thompson!"
"Did you hear that Brett Favre refuses to wear a supporter when he plays?
I heard it's because Ted Thompson wouldn't pay to have it washed!!!"
"Do you know that when they painted the parking spot lines in the Lambeau Field lot, that they were made 1/2 inch SMALLER then before? It's because Ted Thompson wanted to be able to park 10 more cars in the lot, and make more money!" :rubeyes: :rotflmao:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

LOL! This reminds me of the "Kevin Bacon" thing i heard from years ago. Every movie made can some how be linked with Kevin Bacon.
Looks like EVERYTHING that happens in the Packer organization (according to some) can de directly linked to "Ted Thompson!"
"Do you know that when they painted the parking spot lines in the Lambeau Field lot, that they were made 1/2 inch SMALLER then before? It's because Ted Thompson wanted to be able to park 10 more cars in the lot, and make more money!" :rubeyes: :rotflmao:

Funny how that works, isnt it

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Lare said:

Just stating my opinion on the situation based on conversations I've had with people aware of the facts of the situation. Sorry if that reflects badly in any way with the person some of you apparently idolize.

The facts on this situation will come out eventually, we'll see then who was correct. Although I'm guessing some of you won't accept them, regardless of the facts presented and substantiated.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
cheesey said:
Lare said:

Just stating my opinion on the situation based on conversations I've had with people aware of the facts of the situation. Sorry if that reflects badly in any way with the person some of you apparently idolize.

The facts on this situation will come out eventually, we'll see then who was correct. Although I'm guessing some of you won't accept them, regardless of the facts presented and substantiated.

Again with the idolizing\tt worship stuff. Lame.

Would it have been hard to say "we'll see who is right when all the facts come out."

I admit though, it doesn't have that jerky Lare charm. Nevermind, carry on.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Lare, I guess I'm one of the guys who won't believe the reason for his leaving that was just announced. It seems that he now has a serious heart condition and this was the reason. Color me VERY skeptical of that. If it were true, there would have been no reason NOT to announce it long before now, since JJ has had this problem for some time now. Man, it would have been smarter to just let people do their own guessing as to the real reason. Now, most people will laugh at this, which will make the Packers look silly. Or sillier, perhaps. But maybe it's just me, cynical old fossil that I am.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Lare, I guess I'm one of the guys who won't believe the reason for his leaving that was just announced. It seems that he now has a serious heart condition and this was the reason. Color me VERY skeptical of that. If it were true, there would have been no reason NOT to announce it long before now, since JJ has had this problem for some time now. Man, it would have been smarter to just let people do their own guessing as to the real reason. Now, most people will laugh at this, which will make the Packers look silly. Or sillier, perhaps. But maybe it's just me, cynical old fossil that I am.

I hear ya retiredgrampa, kind of makes you wonder why it took almost two months to negotiate a termination settlement with someone that pays him his full salary and benefits for the remainder of his contract for not having to do his job anymore, doesn't it?

Oh well, some people are only going to believe what they want to believe and nothing we tell them is going to change their mind. The true story about this will come out at some point, but it won't be until after all those involved are no longer on the Packers payroll.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

I hear ya retiredgrampa, kind of makes you wonder why it took almost two months to negotiate a termination settlement with someone that pays him his full salary and benefits for the remainder of his contract for not having to do his job anymore, doesn't it?

Oh well, some people are only going to believe what they want to believe and nothing we tell them is going to change their mind. The true story about this will come out at some point, but it won't be until after all those involved are no longer on the Packers payroll.
Lare, I don't "idolize" TT. It just makes me laugh to see just about everytime you post, it's to blast Ted Thompson. If I "idolized" TT as much as you have such on obvious hatred of him, I'd be camped out in the Lambeau Field parking lot waiting for TT to emerge, just so i could get a glimpse of him.
If the so called "facts" don't show that Jones being cut had NOTHING to do with TT, I bet you would not accept that.
Oh..........I heard that it was actually TT that was on the "grassy knoll" the day that President Kennedy was assassinated! :rubeyes: :rotflmao:

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
retiredgrampa said:

Lare, I don't "idolize" TT. It just makes me laugh to see just about everytime you post, it's to blast Ted Thompson. If I "idolized" TT as much as you have such on obvious hatred of him, I'd be camped out in the Lambeau Field parking lot waiting for TT to emerge, just so i could get a glimpse of him.
If the so called "facts" don't show that Jones being cut had NOTHING to do with TT, I bet you would not accept that.
Oh..........I heard that it was actually TT that was on the "grassy knoll" the day that President Kennedy was assassinated! :rubeyes: :rotflmao:

Sorry cheesey, but posts like this is where the credibility of anyone who blindly follows & supports someone or something takes a beating. All I said in this thread is that I heard that the Jones situation came about because of issues he had with Ted Thompson. IMO, anyone who sees that as "TT Bashing" is seeing what they want to see, not what is really there.

I don't hate TT, I don't even dislike TT. I am critical of him in areas where I think he hasn't done a very good job in Green Bay so far (free agency, talent acquisition) and I praise him in the areas I think he has done a good job in Green Bay so far (salary cap management, improved depth). And I always state my opinions as such.

When people feel like they have to attack the opinions of others with namecalling, that's an indication to me that there's much more to their feelings on the matter than what meets the eye.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones was placed on paid leave for the reasons previously stated by Harlan at the time, "management concerns". Those concerns probably did not stem from just one episode, and as Harlan said, "they continued".

When it came time to address the separation on a legal basis, I'm sure Jones' attorney, in order to rehabilitate his client's potential re-employment stature, insisted on a public statement citing "health reasons". It happens all the time.

Whether he screwed up the Moss deal may or may not have been part of the management issues that Harlan was concerned about. Whatever it was, it wasn't something that Harlan couldn't quite put his finger on because he indicated that he had witnessed it on more than one occassion.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When people feel like they have to attack the opinions of others with namecalling, that's an indication to me that there's much more to their feelings on the matter than what meets the eye.

Kinda like calling people TT worshippers or idolizers when your post is fine without it? Saying a man worships idolizes a GM of a team is insulting, but it's ok when you do it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

Kinda like calling people TT worshippers or idolizers when your post is fine without it? Saying a man worships idolizes a GM of a team is insulting, but it's ok when you do it.
Yeah.........funny how that works, hey?
Then pretending to take the higher ground.
Hey Lare, i don't really care if you love or hate TT. I was just commenting on the fact that you post so many negative TT articles on here. Thats fact based, not my opinion. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
My opinion is that he hasn't done a bad job yet. Maybe time will prove me wrong, maybe not. It's just my opinion, thats all.
And you can believe what your insiders seem to think they know, whether it's true or not.
Quite frankly, it doesn't really matter to me anyway.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts