2024 3rd round #88 MarShawn Lloyd RB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Truthfully yes, I believe the film backs this up as well. I would say now, rewind two or three seasons perhaps not.
I believe Dillon is a better player than what we saw in 2023. I know I am someone who has talked about the possibility of him not being on the team, but I think I put those odds somewhere around 25% when I did. The Packers didn't resign Dillon because they think he will be the 2023 Dillon, they resigned him because they know he can be better. If nothing else, Dillon's off year was the Packers gain. Had AJ played a lot better in 2023, he's signing a bigger contract, with another team.

Gute has done a good job this season in making moves that motivate others to get better, Dillon is one of those players with plenty of motivation to improve.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok...Id really like that then. He's definitely a really good rb3. If he can be a really good fb1 that would really help the team and perhaps save a roster spot

Also always great to have a guy who truly wants to be there, beyond the job!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO his familiarity with the system compared to the other backs on the team will make it extremely hard to trade or let him go. IMO.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not necessarily...Green Bay is not the youngest team in the NFL by accident. They love youth, and they love rookie contracts. They likely also want the 3rd RB to contribute on special teams.

I believe Dillon has to be clearly superior to Wilson to get that job. If they're even, Dillon is likely the odd man out.

Time will tell.
You do know Dillon is only 1 year older than Wilson, right? Another thing GB likes is bargains. And AJ is a bargain. They also like positive presence in the locker room and he brings that. I also think you have it backwards. Wilson will have to be clearly better than Dillon. Like I said. He's a guy you can keep fresh and ready to pick up the tough yard. Wilson's definitely not that guy.

Reaction score
One of the primary components of player personnel decisions will always be financial cost. It’s not the only factor but it’s a formidable motivator to retain or remove a player from the equation.

A player will never be deemed a good Value addition by a GM until his Benefits (contributions) exceeds his Cost

That said if we all listed the positives and negatives impact for AJ Dillon and then applied them to his cost? Imo he scores good on that chart. I personally believe he’s of great value at his current cost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe Dillon is a better player than what we saw in 2023. I know I am someone who has talked about the possibility of him not being on the team, but I think I put those odds somewhere around 25% when I did. The Packers didn't resign Dillon because they think he will be the 2023 Dillon, they resigned him because they know he can be better. If nothing else, Dillon's off year was the Packers gain. Had AJ played a lot better in 2023, he's signing a bigger contract, with another team.

Gute has done a good job this season in making moves that motivate others to get better, Dillon is one of those players with plenty of motivation to improve.
Yes. We’ve seen enough of Dillon to know his ceiling and floor. Also what play design puts him in a position for success.
I love him for short yardage. I love him in space in the short passing game. I would also agree he’s at least an average + blocker. He’s also proven worthy in cold weather and against elevated Level Defenses in post season. Generally reliable
His fumble % is near non existent compared to his peers etc ..etc.

What we also learned is he’s not a RB1 type Back. He’s a North South Power Runner, but with a + ability of delicate hands for a big man.
He’s best used as a compliment or change up or situational piece. Marshawn Lloyd and Brandon Jacobs ensure he doesn’t need to be our feature RB.
IMO he’s also very good in space in the passing game. That makes him like a Pseudo Option at TE. I still think he has untapped potential in the short passing game. He’s not a player you are eager to square up on to tackle given any momentum in space. Shoulder tackles are almost ineffective and short arms on those legs are detrimental. You ideally want him to be given opportunities past the front 4 Defenders to capitalize on his size.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That said if we all listed the positives and negatives impact for AJ Dillon and then applied them to his cost? Imo he scores good on that chart. I personally believe he’s of great value at his current cost.
I agree. However, he scores well enough to be a Packer, until someone else, scores better. This is the only situation that I envision happening, that would make Dillon expendable. I guess that goes for pretty much anyone that isn't a starter and has a contract that exceeds enough players above him on the depth chart.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to see Wilson get some chances early. I just hope they don't put him behind a makeshift O line.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to see Wilson get some chances early. I just hope they don't put him behind a makeshift O line.
In the preseason? That is a bit hard to avoid, especially with a rookie RB that the Packers spent a 3rd round pick on and will want to see in all sorts of situations. Not to mention that Jacobs will need some work with the starters and with all the new OL players, we will see lots of rotations.

Guessing Wilson will get extensive work in the preseason, after the 1st few series and we see pretty much the same RB as last year.

- 3 Preseason games
- 38 rushing attempts
- 223 yds
- 5.9 yds/carry
- 2 TD's
- longest run: 80 yds.

I guess I am missing something, why are people so excited about Wilson? Was it his 80 yard run in preseason?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the preseason? That is a bit hard to avoid, especially with a rookie RB that the Packers spent a 3rd round pick on and will want to see in all sorts of situations. Not to mention that Jacobs will need some work with the starters and with all the new OL players, we will see lots of rotations.

Guessing Wilson will get extensive work in the preseason, after the 1st few series and we see pretty much the same RB as last year.

- 3 Preseason games
- 38 rushing attempts
- 223 yds
- 5.9 yds/carry
- 2 TD's
- longest run: 80 yds.

I guess I am missing something, why are people so excited about Wilson? Was it his 80 yard run in preseason?

For me it was his read and react and ability to somehow slip outside and create a seam along the edge at times that was special.

Statwise...
Also those stats are freaking good truthfully in the preseason but it wasn't just his preseason.
As the clear #3 he still put up 85 yards on 14 attempts for 6.07 YPC in the regular season.
But what I loved the most was in the playoffs he looked just as good as he did in the preseason IMO...and some of his stats for the postseason got burned down in junk time vs Dallas when everyone knew they were running the ball...but even the SF game he found space against a solid front and the one passing target he got he did great with.

Some guys don't look overwhelmed and that's part of the battle for a prospect...Wilson has that checked. Now it is merely is there growth to occur or is he just that mature young prospect that never regresses or get better.....ala IMO a Patrick Taylor.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
For me it was his read and react and ability to somehow slip outside and create a seam along the edge at times that was special.

Statwise...
Also those stats are freaking good truthfully in the preseason but it wasn't just his preseason.
As the clear #3 he still put up 85 yards on 14 attempts for 6.07 YPC in the regular season.
But what I loved the most was in the playoffs he looked just as good as he did in the preseason IMO...and some of his stats for the postseason got burned down in junk time vs Dallas when everyone knew they were running the ball...but even the SF game he found space against a solid front and the one passing target he got he did great with.

Some guys don't look overwhelmed and that's part of the battle for a prospect...Wilson has that checked. Now it is merely is there growth to occur or is he just that mature young prospect that never regresses or get better.....ala IMO a Patrick Taylor.
I personally don't see it. To me, he was just a jersey filler. Patrick Taylor is probably the perfect comp for him. Even with injuries to Jones he couldn't sniff the field. To you point, he had a total of 14 regular season carries. One would think that even sitting behind Dillon and Taylor you would get more than that if you were good. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were cut this training cap. Not that 25 is old, but in NFL terms at RB is is starting to be mid career. Those D2 guys don't leave early, so I get it. Look at Taylor, he's 26 and has basically had his career. I think Wilson is a long shot.

Jacobs, Lloyd, and Dillon I think are all no brainers. I know there's discussion on Dillon being cut, but that would surprise me. Then they brought in Jarveon Howard out of Alcorn State. Yes, he's an unheard of guy, but in comparison to Wilson he has a shot to beat him out. He's younger and size wise is comparable to Jacobs and Lloyd. Meaning, that's the type of back that the Packers like. His RAS score is 7.39 compared to 6.83 of Wilson. With that said, I think they will kick the tires on some other backs as well. That was just for comparisons sake.

Exciting stuff to discuss. I'm looking forward to training camp. GPG

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't see it. To me, he was just a jersey filler. Patrick Taylor is probably the perfect comp for him. Even with injuries to Jones he couldn't sniff the field. To you point, he had a total of 14 regular season carries. One would think that even sitting behind Dillon and Taylor you would get more than that if you were good. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were cut this training cap. Not that 25 is old, but in NFL terms at RB is is starting to be mid career. Those D2 guys don't leave early, so I get it. Look at Taylor, he's 26 and has basically had his career. I think Wilson is a long shot.

Jacobs, Lloyd, and Dillon I think are all no brainers. I know there's discussion on Dillon being cut, but that would surprise me. Then they brought in Jarveon Howard out of Alcorn State. Yes, he's an unheard of guy, but in comparison to Wilson he has a shot to beat him out. He's younger and size wise is comparable to Jacobs and Lloyd. Meaning, that's the type of back that the Packers like. His RAS score is 7.39 compared to 6.83 of Wilson. With that said, I think they will kick the tires on some other backs as well. That was just for comparisons sake.

Exciting stuff to discuss. I'm looking forward to training camp. GPG

After just one season to lock in a comp of a guy that's just not appropriate in my opinion. Also I wouldn't honestly expect a RB3 behind two for sure guys ahead of him to only get 20-30 or so carries in a season unless a massive injury issue happened. Also you have to remember Patrick Taylor understood and knew the offense immensely better and is why he got over 30 snaps where Wilson did not and truthfully year 1 no one is surprised at that.

Wilson is either a Patrick Taylor or more - small school guy that showed no flinch in year one - a TON is going to be known this year about him. If the game slowed down even more, if he got his body refined even more, if he shows an even more fluid ability to block, read, set up defenders he for sure will continue to hold a spot and the Taylor comp will be a thing of the past. It's about as justified as any person on the roster right now to say it truly is a coin flip year for him.

Jarveon is a PS guy in year one, and is quite similar to Wilson from the expectations in year one. Wilson showcased far more than anyone thought he would in year one, and I know for a fact the staff knew likely would be nabbed by another team if not part of the initial 53. That alone for me shows that football people see it in him, it was for sure utterly raw back in year one - but you could for sure see it in his cuts, his body control, balance and ability to digest the attackers. To me Wilson's biggest hurdles are maturation of all the little things a RB has to be able to do; block, know positioning, route spacing when needed and things like that PLUS just his physical make up ceiling. I know he's been working a LOT on his burst this off season, he's never going to be a LONG speed type guy (neither is Jacobs), but that burst is what sets a defender route off a foot and sometimes you get that foot is the difference between a 3 yard gainer vs a 10+ first down run.

If he doesn't illustrate an ability in year two to mature inside the offensive role of his position and have pushed his physical ceiling a touch higher - there is a good chance they test the risk of not making him part of the 53 in hopes of PS. I however STRONGLY bet we keep four with Dillon being that Deguara type role often at times in the game...and being a FB/RB positional value guy.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
After just one season to lock in a comp of a guy that's just not appropriate in my opinion. Also I wouldn't honestly expect a RB3 behind two for sure guys ahead of him to get more than 20-30 or so carries in a season unless a massive injury issue happened. Also you have to remember Patrick Taylor understood and knew the offense immensely better and is why he got over 30 snaps where Wilson did not and truthfully year 1 no one is surprised at that.
Like I said, there was a big injury in Aaron Jones and he didn't sniff the field. Sure, Taylor knew the offense better but as a RB there's plenty of guys that "run to daylight". If he was better than Taylor he would have played ahead of him.
Wilson is either a Patrick Taylor or more - small school guy that showed no flinch in year one - a TON is going to be known this year about him. If the game slowed down even more, if he got his body refined even more, if he shows an even more fluid ability to block, read, set up defenders he for sure will continue to hold a spot and the Taylor comp will be a thing of the past. It's about as justified as any person on the roster right now to say it truly is a coin flip year for him.

Jarveon is a PS guy in year one, and is quite similar to Wilson from the expectations in year one. Wilson showcased far more than anyone thought he would in year one, and I know for a fact the staff knew likely would be nabbed by another team if not part of the initial 53. That alone for me shows that football people see it in him, it was for sure utterly raw back in year one - but you could for sure see it in his cuts, his body control, balance and ability to digest the attackers. To me Wilson's biggest hurdles are maturation of all the little things a RB has to be able to do; block, know positioning, route spacing when needed and things like that PLUS just his physical make up ceiling. I know he's been working a LOT on his burst this off season, he's never going to be a LONG speed type guy (neither is Jacobs), but that burst is what sets a defender route off a foot and sometimes you get that foot is the difference between a 3 yard gainer vs a 10+ first down run.
I'm not sure about holding him onto the 53. I mean, he did get cut by the Broncos.
If he doesn't illustrate an ability in year two to mature inside the offensive role of his position and have pushed his physical ceiling a touch higher - there is a good chance they test the risk of not making him part of the 53 in hopes of PS. I however STRONGLY bet we keep four with Dillon being that Deguara type role often at times in the game...and being a FB/RB positional value guy.
I don't disagree with most of your opinion. I'm not a believer in Wilson. I have a feeling he is a cut. However, I would be excited if he did take that next step as a RB. The Pack would have a pretty solid backfield if he progresses. Most teams do still keep four RBs on the roster. With a year in he does have a shot. I just think there are better options out there. It would be cool if he proved me wrong. I've got plenty of crow in the freezer to thaw out just for these types of conversations.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, there was a big injury in Aaron Jones and he didn't sniff the field. Sure, Taylor knew the offense better but as a RB there's plenty of guys that "run to daylight". If he was better than Taylor he would have played ahead of him.

I'm not sure about holding him onto the 53. I mean, he did get cut by the Broncos.

I don't disagree with most of your opinion. I'm not a believer in Wilson. I have a feeling he is a cut. However, I would be excited if he did take that next step as a RB. The Pack would have a pretty solid backfield if he progresses. Most teams do still keep four RBs on the roster. With a year in he does have a shot. I just think there are better options out there. It would be cool if he proved me wrong. I've got plenty of crow in the freezer to thaw out just for these types of conversations.
I don't think anyone thought last year he was more ready for the offense than Taylor was however - if I made it seem so that was my fault as that was never the intent.

He was released from the Broncos after rookie minicamp - UDFAs from a small school, we aren't talking about anything more than that.

Presently he is the clear RB4 on our roster, unless we bring someone else in as Jarveon is way to raw to say he's better than really any second year guy that was on an NFL roster the previous year IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts